If you have rosacea, you know how the persistent redness and acne-like bumps affect your self-image and confidence. The doctors at SkinMD encourage you to get early treatment to prevent your rosacea from progressively worsening. With customized skin care, medications, and cutting-edge laser treatment, you can find relief from your rosacea symptoms. To regain a healthy complexion, book an appointment online or call one of the offices in Chicago, Evergreen Park, Orland Park, or Skokie, Illinois.
Rosacea Q & A
What is Rosacea and What Symptoms Will I Develop?
Rosacea is an inflammatory skin disorder causing facial redness that worsens over time. You may have a frequent blush at first, then the redness usually becomes more permanent and spreads across your face.
You may develop a variety of symptoms, depending on the type and severity of your rosacea, including:
- Persistent redness
- Visible blood vessels
- Swollen, acne-like breakouts
- Thickened skin with bumps
- Red, irritated eyes and swollen eyelids
About half of all patients with rosacea develop symptoms that affect their eyes and may lead to light sensitivity.
What Triggers Rosacea Flare-Ups?
Rosacea symptoms are known for cycling between flare-ups that last weeks to months and periods of remission.
Each patient has different triggers that make their rosacea symptoms flare, so your doctor at SkinMD can help you determine your exact triggers. The most common triggers include:
- Extreme temperature
- Exposure to sunlight
- Spicy foods
- Hot beverages
- Alcoholic beverages
You may find that the cosmetics or skin care products you use cause a rosacea flare-up. At SkinMD, you have access to physician-grade products that are gentle and won’t irritate your skin.
How is Rosacea Treated?
After reviewing your medical history and examining your skin, your doctor at SkinMD creates a treatment plan that’s customized for your unique needs. Your plan may include one or more of the following rosacea treatments:
- Skin Care: Skin care is a key element of rosacea treatment. To minimize flare-ups and keep your skin healthy, it’s essential to moisturize and protect your skin from ultraviolet light. Your doctor can recommend a personalized skin care routine, including gentle skin care products and facials to soothe rosacea and repair your skin. The team at SkinMD are also experienced in camouflage makeup. They can teach you how to apply makeup and recommend therapeutic makeup products.
- Prescription Medications: Your doctor may prescribe topical or oral medications to help reduce inflammation, redness, and pimples.
- Laser Therapy: The excel® V is an advanced laser that safely and effectively diminishes rosacea. The laser uses a wavelength that targets the red pigments in your skin and small blood vessels. As pigments absorb the light energy, they break down while the surrounding skin remains unaffected.
If you notice ongoing facial redness, pimples, or warm-feeling skin, call SkinMD or book an appointment online.